Much like anything else, the way people do laundry has evolved over time and continues to do so. One of the things modernising the way laundry is done is the shift in detergents to more modern options, such as pods. However, with increasing importance placed upon the eco-friendliness of any given product, this is not enough; oftentimes, these products come in single-use plastic that still contributes to the greater environmental crisis at hand. For the eco-minded, laundry sheets detergent has become the answer.
What is a laundry detergent sheet?
This type of laundry product is essentially what it sounds like it would be: a sheet of laundry detergent. These sheets are not unlike dryer sheets in their size and shape, with the biggest difference being that they are stiff when they are dry and then dissolve entirely into hot or cold water once dropped into the washing machine. On the other hand, dryer sheets go into the dryer and are pulled out and tossed away at the end of the cycle.
Laundry sheets feature a more concentrated version of laundry detergent that provides ample cleaning power without having any of the excess waste and plastics other options bring. This is not only preferable for those who want to watch and lessen their impact on the environment; it is also a breath of fresh air for those who have sensitive skin. Without any of the harsh additives, there is no residue left on it, meaning there are also no irritants that can cling to your skin.
Overall, laundry detergent sheets are a convenient, environmentally friendly and skin-loving choice for the modern person when doing their laundry.
How do laundry detergent sheets work?
Using laundry detergent sheets is simpler than using regular laundry detergents. Instead of having to measure out the liquid and carefully fill the receptacle, all you have to do with a laundry sheet is drop it into the machine, much like you would toss in the last sock that almost escaped the hamper. The detergent comes pre-measured in each sheet, so you can be sure you are using just enough and not letting any extra detergent go to waste.
Once the laundry sheet is inside the washer and the cycle begins, its rigid nature begins to soften and eventually dissolves away. As it does so, it creates suds that clean the fabrics within the washing machine the same way as standard detergent.
Regardless of whether you wash on hot or cold, the detergent sheet will dissolve away entirely, leaving nothing behind for you to clean out. This is especially important for those who like to wash their clothes in cold water. Unlike pods, laundry sheets will completely dissolve in the water, no matter the temperature you have it set at.
Do laundry detergent sheets really work?
Laundry sheets work perfectly well as an alternative to traditional laundry detergents. They are formulated to effectively clean clothing and linens using key cleaning ingredients that pack a more concentrated, powerful punch, all without the need for any harmful or unnecessary additives. The concentrated nature of laundry detergent sheets provides a deeper clean without any extras clogging, leaving behind residue on the clothes or washing any harsh chemicals down the drain.
With fewer ingredients, you won't have to worry about skin irritants or soap residue clinging to the clothing, meaning your clothes may even come out looking and feeling cleaner than they would with traditional laundry detergents.
They are also pre-measured, which takes out the hassle of pouring to exact lines on a cup and ensures that each load of laundry gets the same adequate amount of soap to go around.
Can laundry detergent sheets get rid of stains?
Many who may be considering the shift to laundry sheets are concerned that they are not powerful enough to remove stains like their tried-and-true detergents. Fortunately, there is nothing to worry about. Laundry detergent sheets are every bit as effective at stain removal as other formulas, allowing you to clean tough stains without sending any harmful extras down the drain.
You can treat the concentrated laundry sheet as a stain scrubber before you toss it in the washing machine. Simply rub the laundry sheet on the tough stain and then throw the sheet in with the rest of the laundry to get the stain out.
How do you make use of laundry detergent sheets?
As stated, using laundry detergent sheets is an easy thing to do. If you have ever tried out laundry pods or tabs, then you are already familiar with the essence of how they work and what you are supposed to do with them. As an aside, these sheets tend to work best when you toss them right in with the clothing in the drum of the washing machine instead of adding them to detergent dispensers, already eliminating one of the steps you are used to completing when doing your laundry.
Below are the simple steps to using laundry detergent sheets:
- Place the laundry in the washing machine.
- Toss the laundry detergent sheet into the machine on top of the clothing. All you will need is a half a sheet for a regular load. If you have heavily soiled garments, then you will need a full sheet. For small loads you can rip the sheet in half and then half again.
- Turn the washing machine on using either cold or hot water and to any cycle type you prefer. Allow the washing machine to work its magic with the detergent while you take care of other chores.
Are laundry detergent sheets a better alternative to laundry pods?
There is a debate about whether or not laundry detergent sheets or pods are better overall. Let's take a closer look to see which one ultimately comes out on top.
Both pods and laundry sheets are mess-free, convenient and pre-measured, making them incredibly simple to use. Both will also leave you with clean, fresh laundry. However, this does not mean they are equal.
Though laundry detergent pods might clean as easily as a laundry sheet, it comes at a higher price. Pods are full of the same harsh ingredients that you would find in typical liquid detergents, which can be irritating to your skin and harmful to your clothing over time. Anecdotally, some who wash their clothes on cold to save energy also say that laundry pods don't dissolve as well in cold water as laundry detergent sheets. Pods come in a coloured plastic containers, where Laundry sheets come in a more environmentally cardboard sleeve.
What are the reasons why laundry detergent sheets are good for the environment?
Speaking of energy efficiency, which ones are better for the environment? Laundry soap sheets tend to be more sustainable than their pod counterparts. Outside of their potentially harmful chemicals, pods are often available in hefty plastic packaging. The bulkiness can make them heavier to ship, which costs in terms of transportation emissions.
There are other ways that laundry detergent sheets are friendly to the environment. Reasons include:
- No plastic. Without any plastic packaging, you won't have to worry about filling up the landfills the same way you would with a bottle or pods.
- No packaging. Most laundry detergent sheets are actually free from packaging entirely. More often than not, they are packaged in something known as paperboard. This material is incredibly easy to recycle, especially when you compare it to the plastic pouches and buckets that pods come in. This can also be said about bulky detergent bottles.
- No harmful additives. With all-natural ingredients and no harsh chemicals added to them, you can clean your clothing without sending toxic materials down the drain. This will keep these ingredients out of the water and out of the ground.
- No contribution to CO2 emissions. As stated, shipping bulky laundry products contribute to the emissions that are generated during transportation. With the minimal packaging and lightweight nature of laundry detergent sheets, that issue is eliminated. They are so lightweight that they can significantly reduce the carbon footprint that comes with shipping them. Beyond that, they are capable of dissolving fully in cold water, which has been shown to reduce energy and therefore makes it a greener choice.
Why choose laundry detergent sheets?
As you can see, laundry detergent sheets have many benefits to them. While the eco-friendliness is a big draw for many, there are some other reasons that you might choose to use laundry detergent sheets over other options, such as traditional liquid detergents or pods. Reasons include:
- Easy to use. Laundry detergent sheets couldn't be any easier to use than they are. They come perfectly measured, meaning there is no risk of making a mess when pouring as you would from heavy detergent bottles. If you drop it, you won't need to mop up anything as you would with liquid detergent, either; simply pick it up and toss it into the washer.
- No harsh chemicals. There are no harsh chemicals in our laundry sheets. Instead, we use only all natural ingredients, right down to the essential oils in the fragrance options available. This is not only beneficial for the environment, as it won't wash harmful by-products into the water system. And, the sheets are also good to your skin. Those with sensitive skin often struggle with irritants being left behind on their clothing, which can cause itchiness and discomfort. Since laundry sheets use only the cleaning ingredients and nothing else, that no longer becomes an issue.
- No residue. Unlike detergents with unnecessary ingredients in them, laundry detergent sheets don't leave behind soap residue on your clothing. They are entirely dissolvable and won't leave a trace after they've been used.
- Fragrance options. Some prefer their laundry to be heavily perfumed, while scents give others a headache. Regardless of your preferences, you can get laundry sheets unscented or scented to suit your taste.
- Easy to transport. Laundry detergent sheets are incredibly lightweight and easy to move around. For those who do their laundry at the laundromat or find themselves travelling often, they can be a blessing. Gone are the days of balancing hefty bottles of detergent atop your mountain of laundry as you try not to drop it when walking into the laundromat. The sheets are so compact and lightweight that you won't even notice them.
Pros and Cons of Laundry Detergent Sheets
Just like any other product, laundry detergent sheets have their benefits and drawbacks. Before you make any decision about whether or not to purchase them, it is a good idea to get familiar with these two aspects, so you can feel confident in what you're purchasing.
Below, we will take a look at some of the pros and cons of laundry sheets.
Pros of Laundry Detergent Sheets
- Concentrated formula powerfully cleans away dirt, grime and other residues from clothing as easily as any other detergent
- Free from additives that are harsh on the skin and the environment
- Leaves behind no residue, which not only makes your clothes cleaner but is gentler on sensitive skin
- Eco-friendly formula uses no harsh chemicals, making it better for the environment
- Minimal to no packaging that uses recyclable, environmentally friendly materials
- Can be used to get rid of stains
- Can be used when hand washing
- Capable of being used in top and side loading washing machines all the same
Cons of Laundry Detergent Sheets
- Tend to be a little more expensive than laundry pods or traditional detergents, though that balances out in other ways
- Larger loads may require more than one sheet to be used per load
How to choose the best laundry sheets?
If you, like many, are convinced that laundry detergent sheets are right for you, you may be wondering how exactly you should go about purchasing laundry sheets. There are only a few factors to consider when browsing the different types of available laundry sheets. Below, you'll find a quick guide on how to choose the best laundry detergent sheets for you.
How many sheets?
When you live alone or live with a large family, your laundry needs may differ. Bigger households with multiple people doing laundry every single day will, of course, require the use of more detergent. Smaller households with one or two people will need fewer.
Therefore, if you live alone or with a partner, you probably only need to buy a single or double pack. If you have a lot of people in the house, it can be more economical to buy in bulk, such as in a triple pack.
Even if you live alone, buying more at once this way can save you plenty of money both in the cost of the product and in shipping. You will never run out of the need to do laundry, so having plenty on hand is always a good idea.
Scented or unscented?
Everyone has different preferences when it comes to their laundry detergents, especially in terms of scent. Some people love opening the laundry room and smelling warm linens fragranced with aromatics, while others would prefer to not smell anything at all. Whether that is because of a personal preference, an allergy or a sensitivity to smells in some way, you can always choose laundry sheets unscented.
If you love highly fragranced laundry, you can instead choose laundry sheets scented. If you can't decide between the two, you can simply mix and match them and have scented laundry sheets for one load one day and unscented for the next. Ultimately, it is up to you.
Over the years, the way that the modern person does laundry has begun to change with the times. Originally, the shift went from powdered and liquid detergents in a bottle that you would use to fill the dispensers to small pods that you simply tossed into the washing machine.
Since then, detergents have continued to evolve. These days, laundry detergent sheets are becoming more and more popular.
Laundry detergent sheets have a formula that is more concentrated than typical detergents. They are cut into stiff sheets. They are free from parabens, phosphates, dyes and other harsh ingredients, making them eco-friendly and good for sensitive skin.
They are also super easy to use. All you have to do is toss 1/2 a Sheet into the washing machine like you would a laundry pod, and you're good to go.With so many benefits to laundry detergent sheets, especially when compared to liquid detergents or pods, it is easy to see why so many are making the switch. If you want to be more conscious of your impact on the environment while making laundry day just a little bit easier, you are sure to love laundry detergent sheets.